[pmmail-list] Linux

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 10:22:19 +1100 (EDT)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:05:35 -0700 (MST), John Drabik wrote:

>but basically if they want to try to generate revenue by
>adding "proprietary" code to a GPL work, I don't see any way for them
>to do that - and if they don't add any other value, I still don't see
>how they can sell it (at least, not past the first couple of people
>who buy it).

But then there is always BSD type licensing....

Add that IBM's httpserver is a worked over Apache that (under the terms
of the Apache licence they can't call Apache) they keep proprietary
their code to.

There are always ways but I don't really think BPSW needs to hang on
something.

I've written REXX code that does SMTP sending (to a local MTA) so an
app could email to the world. That code maps one-to-one for Linux. Just
needed a sockets API for REXX in Linux, Could redo it in Python or
whatever.

So the underlying function is the same. The GUI is more work. I don't
do it but there are heaps of people doing various Tcl/Tk and other
stuff that is wildly cross platform. Do Linux and you have virtually
all the BSDs covered too.

And hey! then you have a Mac client for their BSD based new OS. Well
maybe their gui is different. I don't know.