[pmmail-2000] Forums??

Kevin Murphy Kevin Murphy" <computec@bigfoot.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:58:06 -0500

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:43:05 -0500, Jimmy S. McCorquodale, Jr. wrote:

>The forum  running on UBB was continually having difficulty, and going
>down.  The decision was made to find and setup a replacement for it
>(any suggestions?)  we are still looking since we need a solution that
>we can use for multiple products/domains.

Ok, understandable... I hope to see something come back soon though. :)

Anyway, here's what I've noticed:

I'm running the second beta of PMMail 2000 Professional.

The timeout values are still set too low.  I understood this was going to be a user-definable variable, but I have yet to see this come to be.  I have (unfortunately) some very slow mail servers that I am
unable to fetch from using anything other than the "official" version.  This would be a top priority item in my mind.

I've noticed that the unread messages counter can be thrown off by high-priority (red icon) messages.  Whenever I receive one of these messages, regardless of what I do with it (Mark as read,
double-click to read, delete immediately, etc), the Inbox always claims to have at least 1 unread messages even when there are none.

I like the feature to be able to delete messages from the trash after a certain period of time, but I dislike the fact that in order to activate this feature, I must close and re-open PMMail.  Would it be
possible to have a button in the titlebar, perhaps a "Delete messages from trash while following the option I set in the configuration" button?

With regards to installations that reside on network drives (necessary in my case for cross-platform PMMail use), I notice three difficulties.

	1.  Reading messages is EXTREMELY slow...  I understand this is due to the way PMMail reads the messages from the drive, and because it always assumes it is using an extremely low-
		latency connection. (ie. local drive)...  Would it be possible to either change the way this works altogether, or provide a configuration option to this end?

	2.  Loading PMMail 2000 in Windows 2000 off of a Warp Server for eBusiness file server is terribly slow.  (Yes, I like to mix my operating systems <Grin>)  We're talking about 30 - 40
		second load times.  I have other programs installed on this file server, and I experience no delays like this.  In the office I have a Windows 2000 server, and I notice similar delays,
		though admittedly for some reaosn they are lessened.

	3.  It seems that running PMMail 2000 off of a network drive makes it generally unstable.  I constantly get error messages in Windows 2000 to the effect of "The application generated an
		error: The memory could not be 'read' ..."  or something of the like.  When I run PMMail on a local drive, I have not been able to reproduce these errors.

I realize I'm throwing a lot of stuff at you, but I really do enjoy using PMMail, and would like to remove the final detractors from an altogether wonderful experience.  You guys picked up a great
product, and it's great to see somebody actively working with this mail client I have been using for many many years now.

If you require any additional information, please let me know, I would be glad to continue this conversation through private email if you would like.

Thank You!

-Kevin Murphy
computec@bigfoot.com