[pmmail-list] firewalls

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:14:24 -0800

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:59:38 -0700 (MST), PA Hala wrote:

>Some ISPs use Identd to verify the originating host.  If Identd is not supported, the POP connection will either fail or wait until the timeout of the Identd request.  Found this the hard way ;-)

However, the typical PC doesn't provide an ident server. What may be
happening is that the firewall responds to the ident probe differently
than the un-firewalled PC. For example, the stock PC probably responds
with an ICMP-unreachable packet. This quickly tells the polling host
that its attempt is doomed to failure and allows it to proceed
immediately. The firewall may be just sitting silent, and the polling
system waits until a timeout for a reply that will never come.

On a Linux host, this behavior can be configured with the ipchains
firewall by selecting either a policy of "deny" (drop packet silently)
or "reject" (respond with failure message). Look for something similar
in your PC firewall.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]