[pmmail-list] Account Send Mail Error - Need Help

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:24:12 -0400

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:21:44 -0500, Paul J. Christiansen wrote:

>The weird thing is that Verizon is my normal SMTP mail server and works fine on the
>account where I have both the POP and SMTP set up for Verizon.  But, when I set up
>an account that has Prodigy.net as the POP (which works fine), but has Verizon as the
>SMTP server, I get the error I quoted below.  If I move the outgoing mail to the pure Verizon
>account Outbox and try to send them again, they go out without a problem.

As others have noted, I saw this problem a while ago and it is likely
due to the fact that straight SMTP doesn't have authentication, so
the ISP keeps track of who has recently retrieved from POP. If you
have retrieved from your POP account, they assume you're a legitimate
client of theirs and let your IP send through their SMTP server. If
not, they assume you're some outside spammer and deny you.

Just a guess. Ask Verizon if this is going on. A word of caution, I
have had numerous ISPs flat out lie to me repeatedly about their
policies and/or software actions until weeks later they admitted that
they were doing things they had previously denied.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support