[pmmail-list] Account Send Mail Error - Need Help

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:52:47 -0800

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:22:01 -0400, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:43:59 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
>>That's PMMail's generic "something went wrong with SMTP" error. The
>
>Actually, I thought that the string:
>
>503 5.0.0 Need MAIL before RCPT
>
>is a direct quote of what PMMail receives from the server. Have I
>been wrong in assuming this (someone familiar with SMTP responses?)?

Sounds right. But if PMMail fails to check for an error earlier in the
sequence, you get this confusing message.

BTW, just tried this with my company mail server (sendmail 8.11.6),
attempting to relay from my address to myself, and got a "550 5.7.1
<shiva@well.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed
and MAIL FROM) succeeded.

RFC 1893 says that 5.0.0 is permanent error, "other status". 5.7.1 is
"delivery not authorized". So it may be that sendmail or whatever MTA
Prodigy uses is busted and is reporting content-free error messages.

BTW, just tried Paul's server, smtp.verizon.net, and I get a "550
Relaying denied" from the MAIL FROM command, so it looks like PMMail is
just continuing the transaction after this command fails and reporting
the last message received.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]