[pmmail-list] Filter for newest virus

Dave Hathaway pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:47:24 -0600

b@m
>m.html
>
>Anyone got a filter for this? I'm seeing it weighing in at about 40k
>for each message, and no body, just the attachments. I'm thinking
>something like subject of "Re:", empty body, and size from 38k to 42k
>(to allow for variation in headers).

On the theory that more sources of information is better, this is
from:

http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/badtrans/default.asp?cid=2608

A new variant of Badtrans has been discovered, referred to as
Badtrans.b. AVERT has raised the Risk Assessment on this variant of
W32/Badtrans@MM to High Risk for Consumers. We have received many
reports from the home users that they have become infected. It is
believed that failure to update recently has caused this increase in
occurrence.
VirusScan and other McAfee products with DAT files 4172 and higher are
protected from this variant.

W32/Badtrans@MM is a mass-mailing worm that drops a remote-access
Trojan. The virus arrives via email in Microsoft Outlook and attempts
to send itself by replying to unread email messages. The email may
contain the text "Take a look to the attachment" in the message body
and will contain an attachment that is 13,312 bytes in length. The
attachment name is created from three sections.

The first part is chosen from the possibilities:
fun
Humor
docs
info
Sorry_about_yesterday
Me_nude
Card
SETUP
  stuff
YOU_are_FAT!
HAMSTER
news_doc
New_Napster_Site README
images
Pics

The second part is chosen from the possibilities:

.DOC.
.MP3.
.ZIP.

and the last part from the possibilities:

pif
scr

This new variant also uses the iframe exploit and incorrect MIME
header to run automatically on unpatched systems. See Microsoft
Security Bulletin (MS01-020) for more information and a patch.

*****

Then, from:
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99069&

Badtrans.b details:
When run, this variant copies itself to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory
as KERNEL32.EXE and creates a registry run key to load itself at
startup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
RunOnce\kernel32=kernel32.exe

This variant replies to incoming email messages and sends itself to
email addresses found in "*.asp" and "*.ht*" files. The sender address
used by the virus when emailing itself to others may be chosen from
the following list:
" Anna" <aizzo@home.com>
"JUDY" <JUJUB271@AOL.COM>
"Rita Tulliani" <powerpuff@videotron.ca>
"Tina" <tina0828@yahoo.com>
"Kelly Andersen" <Gravity49@aol.com>
"Andy" <andy@hweb-media.com>
"Linda" <lgonzal@hotmail.com>
"Mon S" <spiderroll@hotmail.com>
"Joanna" <joanna@mail.utexas.edu>
"JESSICA BENAVIDES" <jessica@aol.com>
" Administrator" <administrator@border.net>
" Admin" <admin@gte.net>
"Support"  <support@cyberramp.net>
"Monika Prado" <monika@telia.com>
"Mary L. Adams"  <mary@c-com.net>

Additionally, the virus prepends the return address used with an "_"
(underscore). Thus replying to an infected message will fail to reach
the intended recipient.

The message subject is typically: "Re:"

The message attachment name is created from three sections. The first
[...]

This new variant uses the iframe exploit and incorrect MIME header to
run automatically on unpatched systems. See Microsoft Security
Bulletin (MS01-020) for more information and a patch.
It also drops a password-stealing trojan (KDLL.DLL), detected as PWS-
AV variant with the 4172 DATs or greater.

*******

HTH,

Dave