[pmmail-list] time to clear trash - performance

Frank Winkler @home pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:06:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 07 Oct 2001 01:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

 >Roughly about 5 seconds per message. Very slow. I disagree that the
 >software must read part of each message. The <Trash> folder <folder.bag>
 >file contains all the required information i.e. message date (third field
 >of each record) and the message file name ( eleventh field of each
 >record). Parse the <folder.bag> file for qualifying message records.
 >Non-qualifying records can be written to a temporary file in the same
 >folder. A qualifying record has the file name to delete. Delete the file.
 >When the entire <folder.bag> file has been parsed, close the file and
 >delete. Rename the temporary file as the new <folder.bag> file. Done. Only
 >one file is read once and one file is written once.

Nearly perfect - just omit the temporary file and keep this information in
memory. Write it to the bag file afterwards.

Regards

Frank Winkler                                                frank@consol.de
ConSol GmbH
Franziskanerstr. 38                                   Voice +49 89 45841.275
81669 Munich - Germany                                  Fax +49 89 45841.189