[pmmail-list] pop with ssh

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:13:35 -0700

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:33:37 +0200, Uggy wrote:

>Or do you know if some other email client integrate SSH ?

Qualcomm's free Qpopper 4 server can do TLS (transaction layer
security), and Eudora can connect to a TLS server. This uses a SSL
tunnel. The client can establish the encryption in two ways:

1) "STLS": Connect to the traditional POP3 port (110) unencrypted port.
The server reports a capabilities string that includes the availability
of the STLS (start TLS) command. The client issues STLS, and the
session then switches to using SSL encryption. (Clients that lack STLS
capability, like PMMail, will simply communicate over an unencrypted
connection.)

2) "Alternate port": Connect to the secure POP3 port (995). The SSL
negotiation occurs as the connection starts, just like SSH.

Eudora can use either method. I run Qpopper on my office Linux server
on both ports.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]