[pmmail-list] Presentation of quoting

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:42:12 +0200 (MES)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:15:23 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:

  On prefixing the quote character with the writer's initials:

> >To me, it's very much visually distracting ... I have no trouble following who says what using the existing ">" symbol for previous
> >postings within a thread ...
>
> Agreed.

  I don't agree. I have problems counting the number of quote
characters to find out who wrote what. I like to have the initials of
the writer I reply to in front of the line. I use this feature with
the mail-and-news-program XPOINT (Crosspoint) which I use for NetNews
(when you search in http://groups.google.com for
L.Willms@jpberlin.de, you will find some samples).

> What we really need is a "reformat and fill" for quoted lines
> to fix stuff like the above quote before PMMail tries to word-wrap it.

  I agree with that (XPOINT supports that feature, too).

> A better solution would be to use a uniform quoting style (ie. a simple
> ">" as used in newsgroup readers) and color-code in the client based on
> nesting level. This puts presentation of the quoting under the control
> of the reader instead of the writer.

  I agree with that, too (and again, XPOINT supports that feature...;
unfortunately, there is not yet a native OS/2 version of XPOINT
available...).

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main