[pmmail-list] Another Crash of Build 2380

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 04:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I got a second crash under a similar circumstance to the one quoted
below.  Here is a rather long summary of the events:

1. I was reading the 3rd of 4 new messages in the subfolder,
WarpBrowsers, of the folder for the OS/2 mailing lists.

2. I decided to reply to this message, using a newly created Canned
Reply, which I have used numerous times without any apparent problem.

3. During the checking of the spelling, I replaced a misspelled word
with the singular instead of the plural form of the correct word.

4. I went to the Outbox, opened this reply, made the correction and
clicked on the "Send" button.

5. Since the frame showed the top of the folders' tree, which shows the
subfolders for News updates, I decided to check on any news from CNN by
fetching e-mail from my ISP and send out the new e-mail at the same
time.

6. Since there were no updates to the News but there were new messages
from some of the OS/2 Mailing Lists, other than WarpBrowsers, I moved
the navigating bar of the folders' frame downward to show the branch of
the tree containing subfolders for these Lists.

7. I clicked on the frame of the e-mail to which I had replied, when
the XCenter bar at the bottom of the display popped up and showed that
there were 2 open messages from WarpBrowsers.

8. I thought that this condition seemed strange, so I clicked on the
icon for this previous message in order to give the focus to it.

9.  Since I had read this message, I closed it via the Icon in the
Title Bar (Square with Slash) and PMMail/2 crashed immediately, leaving
an entry in POPUPLOG.OS2, which is below.

  I should note that I don't recall if I returned the focus to the
WarpBrowser's sub-folder before step 7, as I would do normally.

It appears to me that PMMail did not close this previous message
properly, when I clicked on the "Blue Down-arrow" to "View the message
below the current one".  This next message opened normally, as it is
the one to which I replied.  I wonder if this is due to a lost thread
(?).  There is no major damage or missing messages and PMMail seems
normal.

I hope this description is clear enough to help the PMMail Support
Team.

Does anyone know if this behaviour is unique or similar to past ones in
this or older versions?

Ciao,
    Kenn

Here is the entry in the POPUPLOG.OS2 file.

10-18-2001  02:26:22  SYS3175  PID 0039  TID 0001  Slot 0084
E:\INTERNET\MAILNEWS\BPS\PMMAIL\PMMAIL.EXE
c0000005
00037942
P1=00000001  P2=0000003f  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=ffffffff  EBX=80000342  ECX=1bff002c  EDX=00001208
ESI=00000000  EDI=00000000
DS=0053  DSACC=d0f3  DSLIM=1fffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=d0f3  ESLIM=1fffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=13bb  GSACC=10f3  GSLIM=00003fff
CS:EIP=005b:00037942  CSACC=d0df  CSLIM=1fffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0018122c  SSACC=d0f3  SSLIM=1fffffff
EBP=0018129c  FLG=00012286

PMMAIL.EXE 0001:00027942

In a note on 2001-10-16, at 15:01:30, Kenn Yuill stated:

Hello PMMail Support,

PMMail crashed again when closing a message left open from a previous
folder, while another folder was open after reading one message in
this
folder.  All of the messages were text/plain.  Here is the entry in
POPUPLOG.OS2.

10-16-2001  14:45:00  SYS3175  PID 01dc  TID 0001  Slot 008f
E:\INTERNET\MAILNEWS\BPS\PMMAIL\PMMAIL.EXE
c0000005
00037f25
P1=00000001  P2=0000003f  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=ffffffff  EBX=800001d0  ECX=1bff002c  EDX=00001208
ESI=00000000  EDI=00000000
DS=0053  DSACC=d0f3  DSLIM=1fffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=d0f3  ESLIM=1fffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=13bb  GSACC=10f3  GSLIM=00003fff
CS:EIP=005b:00037f25  CSACC=d0df  CSLIM=1fffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0018122c  SSACC=d0f3  SSLIM=1fffffff
EBP=0018129c  FLG=00012286

PMMAIL.EXE 0001:00027f25

PMMail was open continuously since the previous crash, with
Communicator 4.61 and In-joy 2.30 Build Sep26 running in both cases.
The Account Error Log is empty.

What's up?

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
We must accept finite disappointment,
but never lose infinite hope.
     - Martin Luther King Jr.

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
You don't stop laughing because you grow old;
you grow old because you stop laughing.
   A tagline from  "Helen Ramsay" <helenr@western.wave.ca>