[pmmail-list] Connecting to pop server

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:34:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:40:18 -0400 (EDT), Ronny Hippler wrote:

>	Don't know if this has been brought up here before, I am constantly getting stuck
>connecting to pop server. I know this was discussed in the newsgroup eons ago and
>was hoping that the latest beta would fix this. I am on @home and their servers go
>through phases of unreliability where this happens constantly. A friend runs the windows
>version and says he never sees this problem. I am running the os/2 version.

I've seen this problem myself quite a few times ... usually just closing and then relaunching PMMail will fix it - so to speak ...
What's strange to me is that I NEVER had this problem when I was using a dial-up connection ... now that I'm on DSL it's a everyday
occurence ...

Also, I've noticed that the whole connection will occasionally just sort of die ... Verizon's solution is to power off the "modem" and then bring it
back up ... even sometimes they've stated to shutdown and reboot ...

Well I'm here to tell you that's bullshit ...
Luckily for me I have a LinkSys DSL Router ... when the above occurs all I do is open the setup page builtin to the router and disconnect, then
reconnect the PPPoE portion of the connection ... Fixes it EVERY time without fail ...

Don't know if that helps anyone ... but I hope so ...

Greg