[Pmmail] [pmmail-list] Icons lost ?!

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:24:35 -0300

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:55:48 +0200 (MES), Lueko Willms wrote:

>  It is of course a good idea to use the systemwide defaults, and
>therefore I am satisfied with the result, but I am really at odds why
>PMMAil tries to start a WinOS/2 program when the program configured
>in PMMail is unequivocally an OS/2-PM program!
>
>  For other associations the program I configured in PMMail is
>actually called (Star Office for DOC, XLS, and other office files).

Because the MIME association mechanism in PMMail works like this:

1. PMMail checks the mime type. If it finds a matching type in its
settings, it uses the associated program. Sample mime types are
text/plain or application/octet-stream.

2. If no matching type is found, PMMail checks the attachment's file
extension. If it finds a matching extension in its settings, it uses
the associated program. Sample file extensions are .txt or .doc.

The problem arises because many different products create attachments
with mime type "application/octet-stream". PMMail uses the first (?)
such association it finds and, unfortunately, by default PMMail
shipped (years ago) with a sample association or two for this mime
type that called a Win-OS/2 program.

The reality is that there is no great need for this mime type
association mechanism since the WPS should already be set up to
handle file types based on file extensions.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support