[pmmail-list] Fwd: Re: Debugging PMMail CPU bug?

quaero@myrealbox.com pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:30:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:29:58 +0200 (MES), Lueko Willms wrote:

>   I think this automatic retrieval makes sense only in a workgroup
>on a LAN, not with a Server reachable only via dial-up.

Not necessarily.  I have run standalone machines for home offices
without networking on cable or xDSL setups.  I believe there is a
sizable number of users with broadband connections whose needs lie
between "serious" office LAN-type setups and the "56kbps dial-up a
couple of times a day to retrieve mail and surf the Web" users.

>   I have set up several PMMail clients with a VPOP3 mail server
>(which does dial up and collects mail from various POP3-mailboxes) on
>one LAN where the PMMail clients collect mail from the server about
>every three minutes, so enabling a nearly real-time communication
>between the people in the office.

Indeed.  As stated above, my focus is on those of us who do not run
server applications but do find a constantly connected PMMail/2 client
or any other email client more than enough for our purposes.

Regards,

Nick