[pmmail-list] Share Address Book

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:20:10 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:18:46 +0200 (MES), Lueko Willms wrote:

>REXX can only separate WORDS based on
>blanks as the delimiter).

Not true. Think outside the square:

Use PARSE VAR

>   One more technical problem is that the collection of the PMMAIL
>address books is actually one big file with the individual entries
>and pointers to the list of address books. So both private and public
>or common address books are contained in one file. Such a script
>based update process as I have described should update only those
>addresses in the common address book, not the private entries.

Pretty standard database technology. You can, if you understand the
structure, deal with it.

Get everybody to use book 1 as the default and move all their private
entries to other book(s).

Make one machine the 'keeper' of the master book (1)

Write a script to do the updates of all the drones from the worker bee.
You need to see if the name exists and change other details (usually
email address, sometimes phone or streetaddress etc) or do an add if it
didn't exist.

Maybe you can even delete an entry.

Groups often remove the need for a bunch of books so you can get by
with one corp book and one private.

I know what needs to be done and how to do it. I do not have the client
numbers to make it financially viable.

TB promised me a good deal so I could offer our 250 stores a copy of
PMM each and never quantified the price. I can not mark up from retail
and sold the head office 10 copies at my cost to get started.

We have been promised an upgrade for nearly a year.
I have not seen it. Have you? Betas do not count.

I have had one bug fixed. I had to provide the server to allow the fix
to happen but it did get done. Everything else is in the too hard
basket.

Go figure!

I've been 40-plus years in this industry and I'm amazed that some
newcomers have to learn by experience instead of history. Read Georg
Santayana if that doesn't make sense.

regards,

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.