[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

David Azarewicz pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:13:54 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I reported this "bug" about 3 years ago (yes YEARS) when I did just about the
same thing with license files.  I was told it was not a bug and to use different file
names.  Not a solution in my opinion.

David

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:57:37 +0200, Ulrich Jakobus wrote:

>There is a bug in PMMAIL 2.20.2380 for Windows so that wrong
>files get sent as attachment when e-mails are forwarded. Quite
>simple to reproduce:
>
> - create a file c:\x.dat with content "File 1"
>
> - send an e-mail to yourself with subject "Mail 1" and
>   with the file c:\x.dat attached (this file contains "File 1")
>
> - create a file c:\x.dat with content "File 2" (i.e. overwrite
>   or edit existing file)
>
> - send an e-mail to yourself with subject "Mail 2" and
>   with the file c:\x.dat attached (this file contains "File 2")
>
> - now we have received 2 e-mails with subjects "Mail 1" and "Mail 2",
>   both have a file "x.dat" attached, which is of course different
>   in content
>
> - forward the received e-mail with subject "Mail 1" to yourself
>   (forward including attached file)
>
> - forward the received e-mail with subject "Mail 2" to yourself
>   (forward including attached file)
>

>BUG: The file "x.dat" which is now attached to both the forwarded
>     e-mails has "File 1" attached. The attached file "File 2" of
>     Mail 2 got replaced with "File 1" (probably an already existing
>     file "x.dat" in the PMMAIL TEMP folder is not overwritten when
>     then second e-mail is forwarded).
>

>This is quite a serious bug for me. I created licence files "licence.dat"
>for our customers and the licence creation program sent them to me.
>I forwarded these licence files to all our customers, and now it turns
>out that all of them but the first got the wrong licence file (all got
>the licence file intended for the first customer). The only workaround
>is to explicitely safe the file from the received e-mail and attach it
>again to the e-mail to be forwareded.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ulrich Jakobus

-----
David Azarewicz  david@deltasys.org
http://www.deltasys.org/david

If something becomes the most popular, it is by definition the
average. Therefore the most popular thing can never be the best.