[pmmail-list] PGP problem, maybe new, maybe old

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:10:02 +0100

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:41:28 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:48:00 +0100 (BST), Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>A friend has just sent me a new PGP key, generated with GnuPG 1.0.6 on
>>Linux.
>>
>>If I try to add the key to my keyring, it fails, this is the same using
>>either the Windows or the OS/2 version of PMMail, the latest 2.20.2380
>>version.
>
>I haven't tried this in OS/2 yet but I just double-clicked it from
>Windows PMMail, got a 'select key to import' dialog, selected it and
>it imported fine. I just checked. It's in my keyring now.
>
>Were you having problems with the steps above or in some later stage,
>like actually using the key to encrypt?

No, I had thought that they keys were sent as part of the text, but
actually the .asc file was sent as an attachment. Hence PMMail did not
look inside the attachment to see what was there. I suppose it would be
useful if the OpenPGP standard were followed, I often find that RFC2015
(I think) compliant mailers produce a format for signatures and keys
that PMMail doesn't recognise.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails