[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Gene Gough pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:30:50 -0400

This might be related to the problem where when you get several messages with attachments, the first
message will show it's attachment properly, the second message shows it's attachment and the attachment
from the previous message.  ETC.....   This does not happen every time but it happens enough to be a
significant problem.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:01:38 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

>Just because you click on an attachment because you want to LOOK AT
>THAT ATTACHMENT, PMMail may open a DIFFERENT FILE and *NOT TELL YOU*
>unless you have this box checked!!!!
>
>I can see NO justification for EVER DOING THIS!
>
>Frankly, I would prefer to see that TEMP directory CLEANED OUT WHENEVER
>THE FILE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE *TEMPORARILY* STORED THERE IS *CLOSED*.
> "Temporary" means it is *NOT* supposed to stay around.  But, the fact
>is, the files stored there WILL STAY until you terminate PMMail.
>
>Not only is this dangerous [as illustrated by the fact that you may
>send CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION from one message to some other recipient
>and WILL NEVER KNOW IT HAPPENED!] but it also can eat up a lot of HD
>space.  The files in that directory [d:\...\PMMAIL\TEMP] should NEVER
>be reused.  They are essentially [and should be] hidden from the user.

Gene Gough                                         IBM - Retired                                                  Marietta, GA
Gough Family Page  :  http://www.goughfamily.com/home/albums.htm
Gough History           :  http://www.goughfamily.com/familytree/goughtree.html
Professional  Page    :  http://www.goughfamily.com/resume/software_expert.html