[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:46:32 -0400 (EDT)

Oh, I disagree.  With a very large number of messages having
attachments, this could become quite messy.  And, I suspect that the
maintenance of such directories would be far more overhead than just
deleting the files and reallocating/decoding them.

The issue is not so much having a unique file that needs to be kept.
The attachment is still part of the message.  These problem temporary
files are being kept for potential performance savings.  By definition,
temporary should mean exactly that and be deleted when no longer
needed.

And, just a comment on Trevor's response to my other post:

Re:  Performance on old systems...

I have a 3.5 year old TPad.  I ran on a 90Mhz system when I first got
PMMail and never felt that there was a problem with PMMail performance.
 I hardly notice the time to open an attachment now.  Tired iron may be
a small problem, but not nearly the problem that bad data could create.
 I suspect it is probably the exception that attachments are
re-accessed anyhow.

So, I guess, if an option is going to be provided, rather than the one
that is there now, it should indicate that by DEFAULT these temporary
files will be deleted.  Then, explain the risk of keeping them and,
with due warning, say, "You can do this if you want to, but we strongly
recommend against it, because..."

i.e., So, if I request the 'decode' then make SURE that it will be
decoded by deleting the files when they are closed.