[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:01:56 -0300

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:46:32 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

>By definition,
>temporary should mean exactly that and be deleted when no longer
>needed.

You are arbitrarily deciding for everyone what the definition of "no
longer needed" is.

>I have a 3.5 year old TPad.  I ran on a 90Mhz system when I first got
>PMMail and never felt that there was a problem with PMMail performance.

When I first got PMMail Pentium 66Mhz DESKTOP systems cost $5,000. I
didn't have one. :-)

I'm not saying the performance issues of opening attachments affect
you now or most people now, I was just explaining what I believe was
the original justification of the design.

> I hardly notice the time to open an attachment now.  Tired iron may be
>a small problem, but not nearly the problem that bad data could create.
> I suspect it is probably the exception that attachments are
>re-accessed anyhow.

It is less common than having them accessed only once, perhaps.
However, I have run into it many times.

>So, I guess, if an option is going to be provided, rather than the one
>that is there now, it should indicate that by DEFAULT these temporary

How about if we just fix the bug where one file can get confused for
another?

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support