[pmmail-list] File Naming Convention?

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:03:14 -0300

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:46:45 -0400, Kevin Murphy wrote:

>I am trying to merge two accounts together, and having some problems with the .msg files that exist in both accounts conflicting with one another.  I'm wondering if maybe you could explain to me how
>the 8 characters of the filename are decided upon, so I can make some sort of script that can rename them for me so as to not conflict with one another and still maintain the naming scheme that is
>consistent with PMMail.

This is not really necessary.

Each *.msg file is a plain text file containing all the necessary
ingredients for an Internet email message.

PMMail can "retrieve" mail from you local hard disk using the "SMTP"
protocol. Just select the account you want the messages to end up in,
open the Account Properties or Settings notebook, select the
"Receive" page and check the "SMTP" button. Now enter the full path
on the hard disk to the directory containing the emails from theother
account.

PMMail will "retrieve" them and store them in the inbox of the
currently selected account. You can then drag them to any box you
want to in that account.

Incidentally, how were you originally trying to merge the two
accounts? From within PMMail using drag and drop or from the
operating system itself? I have never heard of PMMail having a
problem with duplicate file names between accounts, although I guess
I haven't heard that it's impossible either.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support