[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 06:50:40 +0200 (MES)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:04:41 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

> I find it rather amazing that this concept appears to be so foreign to
> people writing PC programs.  The concept of a 'temporary' file that
> only has a life while it is open and has not had a permanent SAVE
> issued for it has been around since at least 1964 when the first
> release of IBM's S/360 was released.

  The PC operating systems do not have this concept of a temporary
file. There is also no need to assign a file to a run unit, the
program simply opens a file, and that is it. If a program needs a
file only temporarily, it has to care itself for deleting it again.

  But here we have several separate programs using one and the same
file, and which do not communicate on what to do with the file after
using it.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main