[pmmail-list] A better explaination of the bug with PMMAIL attachments

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:32:18 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from Ralph Cohen sent on
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:27:12 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>I can't agree with you on this.  This problem is caused by the way
>PMMail handles attachments - not by incompetent users.  It's a bug in
>the program for which a number of different solutions are available and
>it should be fixed.  Ideally, software should work to accommodate the
>user - not the other way around.

Hi Ralph,

I understand. I fully expect numerous disagreements to my minority
position. In the post-Apple/Microsoft era, users are excused and software
is blamed. On this particular point we will have to agree to disagree. I'm
of the opinion that a PC is a tool just more complex than a hammer,
screwdriver or saw. The user should educate himself in the proper use of
that tool. Software should help to make a PC an efficient productive tool.
However, the user remains responsible for how he uses that tool. Software
should not aid the user in circumventing proper use and etiquette.

The problem here is not one of handling attachments. It is an isolated
circumstance where PMMail fails to replace a preexisting file when the
user RMB's a message that has an attachment with the same name. To achieve
a faulty result, the user MUST NOT open the attachment before forwarding
the message and its attachment AND the attachment name MUST match a
previously opened attachment. Under this very isolated circumstance,
PMMail will corrupt the data. I have stated that PMMail should never
corrupt the data and therefore this is a faulty implementation of the
'Forwarding' option.

At the same time, I have stated that if the user *competently* uses his
tool by opening the message and its attachment BEFORE forwarding the
message, there is no problem with corrupted data. This is the proper
method, IMO, so the user is not excused. Additionally, I think, PMMail
should not provide the forwarding option if a user RMB's on an unread
message. I don't care to see and waste my time with a message the sender
has not taken the time to review.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris