[pmmail-list] IMAP. When?

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:30:14 -0400 (EDT)

Bernie,

I used to go through the same aggravation that you seem to have.  I was
forever transferring mail directories between systems... A real pain!
Let me suggest one possible variation that I have been using with
success.  It's just the opposite of Rod's approach.

I do ALL my E-Mail on the laptop that I take with me when I am away
from the office.  I have Netscape on my desktop system so I can easily
transfer mail items between systems.  I have set up a separate ID that
only the desktop uses.

The desktop system is able to receive mail from the accounts on the
laptop, but if I try to read from those, the mail is left on the server
so it will be available to the laptop the next time I log on.

Because PMMail can retrieve mail from multiple accounts, it is the
ideal 'master' client.  On the other hand, the disadvantage of Netscape
only dealing with one account at a time has been turned into an
advantage...  It only deals with the 'Transfer ID' unless I expressly
want to do otherwise.

Yes, this means that I have both systems up all the time when I am at
the office, but since I use ADSL and have the ADSL modem/router
connected to a 5-port hub, this is not an issue.  Both systems coexist
quite nicely on the same connection.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:35:52 +1000 (EST), Rod... Whitworth wrote:

>When I travel I like to be able to get my mail too. My work around is
>to have a principal machine at home that is where I keep the master
>files of mail. When I'm away from home I shut down PMmail on it so that
>the mail stays on the server.

M. Carl Gehr, Jr. 	Edge Information Group
(513) 948-8906		8556 Wyoming Club Drive
FAX:  948-8991		Cincinnati, OH  45215-4243
           CGehr@Edge-Information.com
             Carl.Gehr@attglobal.net
            www.edge-information.com