[pmmail-list] Help! PMMail/2 2.20.2382

Hayo Baan pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 13:50:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:56:01 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>After a system crash PMMail/2 is now exiting every time it
>receives a message (any message).
>
>If I switch into remote control, I can keep PMail "up" provided
>I don't retrieve a message.
>
>I have reindexed folders, deleted PMMail.INI, installed the
>new beta (same behavour, I was on 2.10.2010 when the problem
>started).  No differences!!
>
>I'm going on holiday for a week TODAY, and PMMail runs some
>fairly important automated services here, so I need a solution
>today!
>
>I suspect some "index files" or something must be out-of-synch
>Help!!!

I'm not an expert, but the following possible causes come to mind:

1) System crash caused some system dll's to become corrupted
   Do you have a backup?  If so, restore it.

2) File system and or files are corrupted
   You've probably already done that, but run chkdsk /f:3

Other possible solution/work-arounds could be:
Install pmmail in a new directory (next to the old one), configure your account,
and try to receive mail from there.  If this works, your original installation
is somehow corrupted.  You could then one by one copy-over files and settings to
build-up the new environment to resemble your old.

Note by the way, you can safely rename the root of the install directory, pmmail
will find the relevant files regardless. For me it used to be H:\Southsft (yours
could be \BCWS), and I renamed it to H:\MailAndNews as that was more
descriptive.  As long as your program objects keep pointing to the right
location (which they will do if you perform the rename with the WPS), you're
fine.

Good luck,
	Hayo

Some questions should not be asked. However, someone always does.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart, & Jack Cohen - The Science of Discworld)