[pmmail-list] could pm mail be causing this?

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:46:32 -0400

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:26:31 -0700, Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hello, ever since this morning, I've been having a problem where
>whenever I go in to windows explorer, the computer freezes, and I hear
>a metal sound from the computer, and a friend of mine thinks it is a
>motor going bad, either the blower motor, or the power supply motor,
>but this didn't start happening until this morning, and I'm wondering
>if there's a remote chance that 2580 may be causing this, though if
>other people aren't having the problem, I doubt it, just wanted to
>write and make sure.

Marty,

  That doesn't sound good.  It's just a guess on my part, but I'd be
looking at the Hard Drive with your symptoms.  Could just be a few
sectors that have gone bad right where part of the Windows Explorer
files are located.  The red flag to me is that you get the lockup and
(more importantly) you hear a metal sound when you try to access a
certain program.

  First off, backup the system ASAP!  If the HD is going bad and you're
hearing a metal sound that can't be good.  Can you describe the metal
sound?  Is it a high pitched whine, a clacking noise (like a mini
jackhammer inside your case)?
  If it's the little jackhammer noise that usually is the drive trying
to access a portion of the drive that has gone bad for some reason.

  Run scandisk (Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
Scandisk) to put the drive through a test.  If there are bad areas of
the disk this could confirm it.

  I'm sending this to the list in case anyones interested.  You can
reply to me at waynedunham@email.com if you don't want to clutter up
the list.  That's probably a good idea if.

  I'm sure there were lots of times on a B-24 mission where the crew
would hear a "metal sound". {blatantly inadequate attempt to make this
message relate to the B-24 topic}  :)

     Wayne Dunham
     waynedunham@email.com