[pmmail-list] PMMail installer (minor) bug

Warner Young pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:34:06 -0700

Brandon,

I've noticed a minor bug in the PMMail installer.  I think this bug has
been around for quite a while, but I've only recently pinned down the
problem.

The problem is that, after installation on a Win9x system, 3 files are
left in the TEMP folder: advpack.dll, w95inf32.dll and w95inf16.dll.
The reason they're left behind is that InstallShield has a problem with
deleting temp files that are marked as readonly.  The reason they're
marked as readonly in the temp directory, however, is that they must
have been readonly when originally building the InstallShield package.

I work with InstallShield at my work, and I've run into this problem
myself.  The fix is to make sure these files don't have the readonly
attribute set when they're first added to the InstallShield CAB file.

-Warner