[pmmail-list] text/plain email

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:00:07 -0700

On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:19:11 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:00:29 -0400, PMMail 2000 Support wrote:
>>On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 08:41:37 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:

>>>if they contain a code snippet containing the <H T M L> tag.
>>
>>The new option does NOT turn off HTML rendering. It only forces PMMail
>>to display the text/plain portion of a message that contains multi-part
>>content.
>>
>I was aware of that. So will there be any attempt to correct this glaring
>violation of the relevant RFC's?  A declaration of text/plain should
>absolutely rule.

Although I agree wholeheartedly that this behavior is misguided and annoying,
and violates the "principle of least astonishment", there are in fact no RFCs
that mandate the physical rendering of a piece of e-mail.  An MUA is
essentially free (from an RFC standpoint) to interpret the contents as it sees
fit.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.