[pmmail-list] text/plain email

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:50:33 -0700

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:22:31 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:56:02 -0700 "Tim Roberts" <timr@probo.com> wrote:
>
>> But, as Rod pointed out, "stripping" is not the right answer, either.
>
>Right answer for whom? I don't participate in mailing lists where I am
>exchanging html source code with people, therefore AFAIAC I don't ever
>want to see this stuff.

That is a policy decision that PMMail should not be making.  It should not be
censoring strings from my e-mail.

>> What it should do is display them literally, without interpretation.
>
>If that's what you need it to do.
>
>Very difficult problem isn't it?

No, it's not.  What if PMMail decided that all occurrances of the string
"Brian" should be removed as the message is displayed?  That is exactly the
same as what it is currently doing with {HTML} tags.  It is wrong.

If YOU don't want to see HTML tags in a text/plain section, then YOU can have a
filter to remove them.  PMMail should not be forcing that behavior.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.