[pmmail-list] Subject sorting nit PMMail Win Pro

Allan McLane pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:03:15 -0400

I provide email-support to a local ISP along with a pool of about 15 others. We all receive the same messages and the replies thereto.

We all sort by subject so that we know when/if a reply and/or a follow-up has been sent.

The list receives around 100 - 200 messages a day and I find that the workload is pretty well managed with PMMail. In fact, the only other viable option IMHO is Pine and I do use also use that.

However, in PMMail sorting first by subject and then date/time received yields incomplete sorting order. Consider these three messages, all on the same subject:

The order sent was 1, 2, 3.

1/
Subject: unsolicited email (fwd)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:22:25 -0400 (EDT)
(sent with pine)

2/
Subject: Fwd: unsolicited email (fwd)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:24:26 -0400
(sent with PMMail)

3/
Subject: FW: unsolicited email (fwd)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
(sent with pine)

The order sorted by PMMail was 3, 1, 2 and there were about 15 other messages placed between 3 & 1 in the sort list (sorted first by subject and then date/time, ascending order).

It looks like PMMail treated "FW:" rather differently than "Fwd:"

PITA and this is not new with current beta cycle, AFAIK.

I will retain the full message headers if anyone is interested.

--allan