[pmmail-list] Rexx archive mail script (was Re: Looking for Rexx Script)

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:00:10 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:11:37 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>I'd like to archive (copy) a large PMMail/2 message folder, but
>I'd  like to rename the files too.

Well I wrote one in the end and am publicising it here in case
anyone else is interested (the script contains lots of fairly
well written(!?) code for parsing email headers and addresses
etc etc).

The script archives (COPIES) files from a mail folder to a backup
direcory. The script works with PMMail/2 for OS/2 and *SHOULD*
also work with PMMail2000 and IBM Rexx for Windows, but I cannot
test this.

The archived emails are also (optionally) HTML-ised and
concatenated onto a file called "email.html" in the same
directory. This is intended for viewing in a browser,
importing into a word processor and/or pretty-printing etc.
The HTML file also contains hyperlinks to each "raw"
exported email file.

The filenames of the exported files are MODIFIED such that the
name additionally contains the email stems of the To: and From:
addresses plus the first 30 chars of the subject (with special
chars etc replaced!):

 e.g. GEM9Q70.MSG gets copied to:
      GEM9Q70_Status_Report_TO_sbowring_FROM_verena_buchanan.txt

Can I post attachments to this list? (or if you'd like a copy,
email me and I'll send a copy to you directly).

Anyone?

Simon