[pmmail-list] Outward filter needed

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:08:04 +0200 (MES)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:23:57 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:

>>> I am on one of those hightly irritating
>>> mailing lists where hitting "reply" sends
>>> mail to the poster only rather than to the
>>> list
>>
>>   The easiest workaround is to use "Reply to all" (Ctrl-Alt-R)
>> instead of "Reply" (Ctrl-R) and to delete the sender's address
>> from the recipients list, if you don't want the sender to receive
>> an additional copy of that mail.
> >
> That isn't the workaround, that's the problem.
> Because 90% of my list-mail works with the reply button,
> it's very difficult to remember to hit the other button
> or the extra key for the remaining 10%.

   You could help your memory by giving the folder a name which incorporates
"reply-to-all" (assuming that you filter your incoming mail into separate
folders for each mailing list, as I do).

   An outward filter won't help you. How would you retrieve a header from the
message replied to in the message to be sent out?

   If you want it automated, you would need an _inward_ filter which adds a
it. I would think, you need an external program to do this. Since you know to
which mailing list the message is to be sent to, based on your filtering for
the incoming message, you need to analyze the incoming message, only add (as
first line) a fixed string, like "Reply-To: charsets
<ietf-charsets@iana.org>", as would have to do in my case.

   The whole external program could consist of this:

   copy  mlisthdr.txt + %1  message.tmp
   copy  message.tmp %1
   del   message.tmp

  with "mlisthdr.txt" being just that one line with the "Reply-To: " header
you are misssing.

Yours,
Lüko Willms