[pmmail-list] HTML formatting

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 10:07:04 +0100 (MEZ)

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:51:40 +0000 (GMT), Jim Nuytens wrote:

   About text/html bodyparts:

>> In OS/2 I believe the major technical issue is that BSW would have to
>> create their own rendering engine for HTML, a fairly major operation for
>> a rather small market.
>
> And, I might add, also redundant.
>
> If an OS/2 user wants to view HTML mail, that's what "Window -> View
> Message In Web Browser" is for in the first place.

   No, no, and no.

   For one, I do not want the browser to execute some Javascript or whatever
in the HTML mail;

   I do not want to deliver "contact information" by calling a web bug (you
see those tiny little images of size 1 by 1 pixel, whose file name includes
some id string for the recipient of the message);

   The regular HTML browser is not capable of showing the embedded images in a
multipart/related message, since it doesn't know about their content ID (at
least PMMail/2 doesn't hand them over).

   BPSW have chosen a cross pplaform GUI library called wxWindows which
includes a HTML rendering machine, and of which also an OS/2 is in development
(see http://www.wxwindows.org/). So the technical issue should not be that
enormous.

Yours,
Lüko Willms