[pmmail-list] Big Request - Spell Checker

Gene Gough pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:01:08 -0500

Ever since I installed the current beta (have no backed off to previous) the spell checker runs when
requested but it seems to be a NOOP.    I can type garbage in and it just goes on by.  About once every 20
or thirty notes it will actually run and do something.   Backing off to the previous version did not correct
the situtation.    Arghhhhhh.   Anyone else seeing this?  As an example, it does not see any errrorrs in this
note.   I have asked this question now three times an not a person has bothered to respond that they do
or do not see this problem.  How can we complain about BSW when we don't even respond to questions
from other users?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:33:11 +0100 (CET), Marek Wojciechowski wrote:

>I think the best solution would be providing interface for ispell in
>PMMail (eg. the way they do for PGP). That would solve also the problem
>of supporting other languages than english.
>At the moment I am using ispell as "external editor" for PMMail and it
>works, but it is not an elegant solution.
>
>Marek
>
>On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:42:59 -0500, John Swartzentruber wrote:
>
>>I think my biggest current day to day problem with PMMail is how bad
>>the spell checker is. If the spell checker can't be replaced with
>>something reasonable, could it at least be tweaked so that the
>>suggested replacement word is the original word that I typed?
>>
>>For example, I recently wrote a message that included the word
>>"aquaintance". This is a misspelling. All I need to do is pop in a 'c'
>>after the 'a' and all would be well. Unfortunately, the correct
>>spelling isn't anywhere in the suggested words list and the suggested
>>word that I must edit is "aquanaut", which is nowhere near the correct
>>spelling of the word I want. The end result is that about 80% of the
>>time, I need to type the entire word all over again, or else exit the
>>spell checker to make the correction. I don't think it would require a
>>significant change in the short-term to just put the misspelled word
>>into the editor so that I can correct it myself.
>>
>>And I know that people can recognize patterns much better than software
>>can, but I don't think it would take too much software intelligence to
>>guess that "acquaintance" would be a better match than "aquanaut".
>>

>>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>>line of the message body being...
>>

>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>line of the message body being...

Gene Gough                                         IBM - Retired                                                  Marietta, GA
Gough Family Page  :  http://www.goughfamily.com/home/albums.htm
Gough History           :  http://www.goughfamily.com/familytree/goughtree.html
Professional  Page    :  http://www.goughfamily.com/resume/software_expert.html