[pmmail-list] PMMail 2000 ideas

J Seder pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:01:25 -0800

Here are some thoughts after a few weeks of PMMail 2000 2.20.2380 with
Windows 2000 SP2 and many years of PMMail for OS/2. I want to say up
front that I think you have terrific products, and I expect to continue
to buy and use them.  I also don't want to start arguments about
whether the following are good ideas - if there's any doubt, omit them
or make them user-configurable...

1. If I print to my Brother 1650 attached to an Axis 150 printer
server, each line is inverted top to bottom.  That is, the top line of
the page contains the correct text for the top line, but it is flipped
so that, for example, a d prints like a q.  Weird, huh?  If I print via
NetBIOS peer services to my Brother 4550 which is attached to an OS/2
machine, the print is OK.  All other applications print OK everywhere.

2.  When text is highlighted in the message edit window, the RMB popup
menu should offer "Explore URL, Save to address book".

3.  When text is marked in the message view window, the RMB popup
should *always* include "Explore URL" and "Save to address book" -
sometimes your parser doesn't get it right, or sometimes I would like
to put friendatdomaindotcom (i.e. someone trying to avoid spam) into my
address book and clean it up later.  And when I do click on a
highlighted URL or e-mail address, you should flash it or do something
to acknowledge that you have launched the browser or a message compose
window - sometimes it takes a few seconds for those to start, and in
that interval I usually try again and again...

4. I really miss the OS/2 on-screen status indicator that appears when
PMMail is minimized.  [This large rectangle (40x120 pixels or so) would
flash blue/yellow.]  With the Windows version, I have to look at a tiny
tiny icon in the corner of my screen.  Is it possible to offer a large
indicator in Windows?  Might it be possible to offer an optional audio
signal - a chirp once a minute - to indicate that e-mail has arrived,
so I know to turn on my display?  I suppose I could do this with an
external filter...

5. With the OS/2 version, you could use the ICSL PROGRAM tag to launch
an external Rexx file, as I recall, just by providing its name.  But
with Windows, you have to specify "rexx myfile.cmd" and I can't get
this to work.  It seems that the Windows interpreter is looking for a
file named "rexx myfile.cmd".  Can you give sample syntax for starting
a program (rexx) with parameters (myfile.cmd), or add this
functionality if necessary?

6.  If I save a draft, it gets reflowed and line breaks are inserted -
unless I remember to change the "Word Wrap" option to "No Wrap".  When
I later reopen the message to revise it further, I must remove all the
breaks...  Can you force "Word Wrap" to "No Wrap" whenever any message
is saved as a draft?

7. Thank you very much for removing the "reindexing complete" dialog,
and adding "Reindex all" command (which takes <3 seconds on my setup).
Is there any way to generate a list orphaned files, by the way?  Can
you please remove the "Filtering Complete" dialog, or at least make it
configurable?  Can you offer a mechanism that makes it easier to have a
manual filter work against multiple e-mail messages?  (perhaps with a
more/last flag, or with selected message filepaths saved into a file).

8. Can you allow lateral movement of the bar between To: and Cc:/Bcc:,
or horizontal scrolling of these windows?  I often can't see the whole
To: address, and must resize the whole message box to view it.  I use
cc: relatively infrequently.

9.  Sometimes I manually delete all the messages in the Trash folder...
 but when I'm done, the folder list icon will say that I have one
unread message.  I have to reindex to clear this.

10.  Is it possible to include headers in replies, if they are shown in
the view window?

Once again, thank you for this excellent product.