[pmmail-list] Canned Reply - File Attach - Windows

Wendell Brown pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:56:01 -0500

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:25:55 +0000, J Seder wrote:

>I don't exactly understand what you're doing, but:

The easiest way to describe it is to say "try it".  Send a message:

To: filerequest@system-designs.com
Subject: RDATE.C

You should get back an automated e-mail that has some info on RDATE.C
and the source code as an attachment.

>1) You can use IBM's Object Rexx for Windows with PMMail for Windows in
>almost exactly the same way you used Rexx with PMMail/2.  You just have
>to remember to specify "rexx mycmd.cmd"

Good idea.

>2) If you check the target e-mail addresses against a preapproved list,
>you eliminate the security issues.  You also could implement a
>primitive or even sophisticated password or testword scheme, and log
>all activity.

Actually, the way our rexx is currently configured only a certain list
of files (about 20) can be requested so security isn't really a big
issue.  I was primarily trying to see if it would be possible to embed
the subject line as part of the file name in the $a.filename$ field in
a canned reply.  My inital guess is that it can't be done that way and
we will have to continue using an external script.

It would be really cool if you could set up a directory on your C:
drive (C:\PUBLIC\) and then allow anyone that knows the name of a file
in that directory to request retrieve it via e-mail without manual
intervention....  IF the recursion worked you could simply code the
canned reply to say:

$a.C:\PUBLIC\$h.subject$$

so the email I described above would work IF the file RDATE.C is in the
C:\PUBLIC\ directory.