[pmmail-list] ongoing problem with pm mail and audio streams

Marty Rimpau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:09:48 -0700

Hello, I know I've written about this before, but I can't get a
satisfactory response to alleviate this problem, which is, that I would
like to read mail with pm mail version 2502 while listening to streams,
but when I try and read mail while listening to streams either with
winamp, or real player, the stream acts up, and let me explain what I
mean, since the nature of how the streams act up has changed.  It use
to be, in older versions of winamp, that when using the nullsoft wave
output plug-in, now called the winamp wave output plug-in, that when
tabbing from the list view of messages, to the preview pane of pm mail
to listen to a message, the stream would cut off, and it did this in
real player as well.  I corrected this in winamp by changing to the
direct sound output, but now, since changing to winamp 2.79, and up to
the current version, winamp 2.80 A., the stream or mp3 in question back
tracks, sometimes, two or three times, as if a phraise were being
repeated over and over again, and I'm still having the old problem with
real player, where the stream cuts off for a few seconds, after tabbing
from the list-view of messages, to the preview pane of pm mail, where
the message is.  I know that people have suggested using alt 1 to read
messages, but I feel most comfortable with quickly tabbing to the
preview pane to quickly go down the list of messages, so I can quickly
get an idea of the message content, in case I'm interested in reading
the entirity of the message.  Now, I can press enter on the message,
and pm mail doesn't exhibit this behaviour nearly as much, but still,
for me, an old habitual stallwart, it's harder to press enter, locate
the text, and press read to end to start reading the message in
question.  The above described behaviour does not occurr with windows
media player, no matter what version, so, I know it isn't a processor
issue, and I had suggested to gw staff that we might be causing the
problem, because I remember closing we and tabbing about in pm mail
after opening it without we opening, as this will automatically put you
in the folder list, so I would always have a reference to go by, and
when I did this without we open, the problem wasn't occurring, but, I
will not blame window-eyes outright, until I  know more information,
such as an old file from a previous version of pm mail hanging round,
etc.  With window-eyes 4.2, windows 98 se, a 400 megs processor, 192
megs of ram,  and the enternet 100 dsl software.  Even with a brand new
installation of windows, it still does this, and it is driving me up
the wall, because I want to listen to audio streams, and read mail, but
can't without this annoying problem, forcing me to either listen to
streams, and ignore mail, or just read mail, which can get depressing
by itself, unless I read mail shortly after waking up, but because of
this problem, if a list folder grows to 4 or 500 messages, I just chuck
the whole thing in frustration, for fear I won't be able to keep up
because of this problem.  I shall write the pm mail list, and let them
know about this problem as well, because if windows media player
doesn't exhibit this problem, yet winamp and real player do, in
differing ways, then I want to find out a way to solve this problem.
Thanks for putting up with my long rant, but I know other pm mail users
don't seem to have this problem, but I do, and it is frustrating.
Thanks for any help you can give, and hope I can do something about
nipping this problem in the budd.
Marty