[pmmail-list] hyper-text?

Frank Winkler - Sun Germany - Enterprise Services pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:55:54 +0200 (MEST)

 >PMMail has some serious issues with HTML
 >1) In messages sent as multipart/alternative, PMMail displays the HTML
 >component, providing no means of selecting the text component instead
 >(which many many users would prefer to be the only view they see).
 >2) In messages sent as text/plain, PMMail sniffs the content and switches
 >to HTML rendering if the mail body contains a < H T M L > (spaces added
 >to avoid problem) tag. This is also and RFC violation, and for people
 >like me who participate in a number of ML's where people wish to post
 >HTML code samples for discussion, it is a major nuisance.

Furthermore, it wasn't only me who suggested that PMMail should provide the
opportunity to specify a default charset which is applied as soon as there
is no appropriate header. The current behavior is quite unpleasant due to
some brain-dead mailers; PMMail assumes 7bit-ASCII (which may make sense
looking at the RFC) but the probability if this matches the contents varies
depending on the location :) ...

Regards

Frank Winkler                                 frank.winkler@germany.sun.com
Sun Microsystems - Remote Admin Center
Sonnenallee 1                                       Voice +49 89 46008.2755
85551 Heimstetten - Germany                           Fax +49 89 46008.2740