[pmmail-list] 3 things, I suppose

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:46:13 -0700

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:11:12 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hathaway wrote:

>I've seen =20 most often with CCMAIL:, where it contextually means a
>dangling space at the end of a line.  That is, it wants the space
>before the carriage return when it word wraps.  I always considered
>it another example of just how cheesy CCSNAIL: was.

The most common situation where I see this is on mailing lists.  For anything
except very slow lists, I usually sign up for the "digest" version, so I get
the day's postings in a single message.  Most mailing list software just grabs
the text/plain parts and appends them to the digest, without translating the
character set.  Thus, the digest message will be marked as 7bit, but individual
posts that started life as quoted-printable will still be filled with trailing
= and embedded =20 and =3D symbols.  This is particularly annoying for
programming lists where people post code samples, because "=" gets translated
to "=3D".

The =20 is necessary because RFC822 allows mail transfer agents to strip
trailing blanks from the ends of lines in a message body.  For word-wrapped
text, that produces sub-optimal results.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.