[pmmail-list] hyper-text?

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:56:17 +1200

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:39:32 +0200 (MEST), Frank Winkler - Sun Germany - Enterprise Services wrote:

> >Next, I'd like to point out that I am on a good many e-mail
> >lists which have a significant non-US membership.  Many of
> >these people don't have an unlimited hours-per-month ISP,
> >they pay by bandwidth used.  To impose HTML on these people
> >is like telemarketers calling cell phones.
>
>Good point, Jerry :) ... though the way cell phones are billed in Germany
>is just opposite to the one in the US: as long as you travel around in your
>home net, you aren't charged for incoming calls. Anyway, I don't like being
>called by someone who wants to sell me a couple of fridges ...

That analogy had been puzzling me all day, because I had never heard
of places where it costs you to receive a cellphone call. What countries
use this system?

But then most Americans are amazed to hear that all broadband services in
New Zealand are charged on a volume basis (in my case, a fixed fee for up
to 1 GB each month, and $NZ0.2 per MB thereafter). So every HTML email (by my
count they average 2.5 x the size of text-only emails of the same word-count)
does cost me - if not cash then the ability to download thigns I am interested
in.

--
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.