[pmmail-list] problem with deleting messages from server

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:26:59 +1000

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:48:00 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Rod... Whitworth wrote:
>
>> That is the way all smtp servers work.
>> Deletes are only acted upon when a QUIT command is received.
>
>Not *all* POP3 servers work this way.  My ISP is using what reports itself
>as QPOP version 2.53, and it deletes as messages are downloaded.  I agree
>that *most* POP3 servers work as you describe.

No. If that server works as described it is, by definition, NOT a POP3
server.
Refer RFC1939:-
======================
RFC 1939                          POP3                          May
1996

             The POP3 server marks the message as deleted.  Any future
             reference to the message-number associated with the
message
             in a POP3 command generates an error.  The POP3 server
does
             not actually delete the message until the POP3 session
             enters the UPDATE state.
======
6. The UPDATE State

   When the client issues the QUIT command from the TRANSACTION state,
   the POP3 session enters the UPDATE state.  (Note that if the client
   issues the QUIT command from the AUTHORIZATION state, the POP3
   session terminates but does NOT enter the UPDATE state.)

   If a session terminates for some reason other than a client-issued
   QUIT command, the POP3 session does NOT enter the UPDATE state and
   MUST not remove any messages from the maildrop.
====End of quote====

Please note the last sentence............and the fact that I made a
booboo and called the POP server an smtp server in my original reply to
you.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.