[pmmail-list] problem with deleting messages from server

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:45:20 -0700

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:09:25 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:26:59 +1000, Rod... Whitworth wrote:
>
>>>Not *all* POP3 servers work this way.  My ISP is using what reports itself
>>>as QPOP version 2.53, and it deletes as messages are downloaded.  I agree
>>>that *most* POP3 servers work as you describe.
>>>
>>No. If that server works as described it is, by definition, NOT a POP3
>>server.  Refer RFC1939:-
>
>OK, call it a POP3 work-alike then.  Makes little difference to the user.

I disagree.  Let's say the power fails on my computer while I'm fetching mail.
If I'm using a POP-conforming server, I will not lose anything.  The messages
will still be there when I reboot and refetch.  With QPOP, I will permanently
lose whatever messages had already been downloaded and marked for deletion.
That's a big difference.

Side note: I found it hard to believe that QPOP would violate the RFC in that
way.  Since we run qpopper on our mail server, I decided to telnet into the POP
port to prove Steve wrong.  Much to my surprise, I find he is correct: we are
running QPOP 3.0.2, and it DOES delete the messages immediately upon receiving
the DELE command.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.