[pmmail-list] hyper-text?

Warner Young pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:35:01 -0700

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:05:08 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:46:35 -0700
>"Tim Roberts" <timr@probo.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course it should.  Your attitude is akin to asking whether the
>> Opera browser should support tables.  HTML e-mail exists in vast
>> quantities, and denying that fact won't make it go away.  You are
>> perfectly welcome to dislike HTML e-mail, and you should certainly
>> have the option to turn off its support, but an application like
>> PMMail cannot afford to cater directly to the fringe user if it hopes
>> to survive in the long term.
>

>Please tell us the RFC number of the email standard that defines the
>behaviour of html encoded mail.
>
>--
>Brian Morrison

Come on, folks.  This seems to be getting a little beyond "should
PMMail support HTML emails", but has turned into more of a forum for
arguing for why you like/dislike HTML mail.

Let me just ask this: whether PMMail improves its HTML mail rendering
or drops it completely, will it stop people from sending HTML emails to
you?

If you're getting lots of HTML spam, that's not going to stop no matter
how your mail client behaves.  If you currently don't get any HTML
emails at all, then it shouldn't matter whether this support is
improved or dropped in future versions of PMMail.  And if, like me, you
have friends or colleagues who send HTML mail, either because they
don't realize it, or because they need some formatting features, then
it *does* matter how PMMail handles HTML.

I get HTML mail from people just enough that I would really like to
have improved support in PMMail for it.  So long as embedded images
aren't rendered (or if there's an option to control it), and so long as
there'll be an option to view the pure text version of it, it seems to
me this should satisfy everybody.

--
Warner Young