[pmmail-list] PMMail 2000 Windows Beta

Brandon King pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:17:23 -0400

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:44:54 -0400, Michael Rowe wrote:

>I installed the new Beta and I notice no difference on the HTML setting.  I opened up some old mail and it behaves the same.  Did I miss something?

Did you UNcheck the option to display HTML when available in the Preferences
menu? Also, make sure that you repeat that for each account that you do not
wish to view HTML formatting.

If you did, and you still see HTML, it is because the message has no text/plain
content. This option does not turn off HTML completely, only forces PMMail to
display the text/plain portion of multi-part messages. Take a look at the
headers of the messages and you will find that the content type is declared
text/html, in most cases.

This actually gave me an idea to try running a search and replace program as a
hook on incoming messages to change that declaration to text/plain. Problem is,
even if you do declare the content as plain text, PMMail will read HTML tags
and display them if that is all there is to the message. So, instead of killing
that, I just killed the < h.t.m.l. > tags, so you see unformatted html. Long
way around, but given the fact that we will likely not be able to 'turn off'
html rendering, it is another option. I am using a program called Search &
Replace, I am sure many of you know different, and likely better, ways to do
this.

Darn, I didn't write this quickly enough, but the message you posted only
illustrates what I said, this is a plain HTML message, not multi-part...

Brandon King
PMMail 2000 Technical Support
support@blueprintsoftwareworks.com