[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:57:05 -0300

On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 09:27:37 -0400, verizon wrote:

>And lest we forget the earliest (that I learned anyway) tenet of
>philosophy: Define your terms.

Yes! "Better Understanding Through Grammar." I've always maintained
that most arguments can be solved, if not boiled down to differing
preferences, if people would just define what they actually mean.
Often just defining things clearly to themselves will solve some
arguments.

>vast majority of internet users.  So it falls on us as "enlightened
>users" to convince the rest of the world to just throw out all mail
>that is unsolicited and useless.  Commercial, political, and personal

True. Some spam advertisements will be successful but it always
amazes me that people bother to send much of it. Surely no one could
be stupid enough to even read "Increase sexual energy - Reduce body
fat!8913" (the most recent spam in my trash box), let alone reply to
it, right? I mean, I would love to increase my sexual energy and even
though I already have dangerously low body fat, I might risk losing
even more if I could be more virile. But it would never cross my mind
to read that email, because it's spam -- it's garbage by definition.

Obviously, I'm wrong though and people do read and reply to these
things, or people would give up sending them.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support