[pmmail-list] Selecting startup for PMMail 2000

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:27:21 -0400

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:06:15 -0500, Hazen Woods wrote:

>All of my PMMail files were originally set up under PMMail/2 and reside
>in a directory on my E: drive.  I have PMMail 2000 installed on Win2000
>Pro. I want to point PMMail 2000 to that directory.  I can do this from
>a shortcut which I created and have located on my desktop.
>
>When select properties from the shortcut icon there is a "Start at"
>option.  But properties from the executable itself does not have that
>option.   I have created shortcuts and pointed the other applications
>to it, but doesn't seem to work.  What am I overlooking?

Hi Hazen,

I think what you're overlooking is that Win2k is not OS/2, i.e. the
"program object" for the executable is not the same as OS/2 program
objects.  In order to do what I think you're trying to do, i.e. open
PMMail in Win2k from another program, try creating a batch file and
point to that instead of the executable.  For instance, my OS/2 PMMail
directory is on a drive that I have mapped to drive s: on my Win2k
system in the \southsft\pmmail subdirectory.  My PMMail Windows
installation on my Win2k system is on drive h: in the \pmmail2k_2k
subdirectory.  I created the following batch file that opens PMMail on
my Win2k system so that it uses the data files on my OS/2 system:

 s:
 cd\southsft\pmmail
 H:\pmmail2k_2k\PMMailw.exe

You should then be able to point to the batch file program object from
your other programs instead of the PMMail executable.

Ralph