[pmmail-list] Selecting startup for PMMail 2000

Hazen Woods pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:24:17 -0500

You're being kind when you say I overlooked something.  I am confused
tho.  PMMail2000 says in part:
 "To do this [this being point PMMail2000 to data files separated from
the program files], Right click on the PMMail icon, and select
Properties. In the Properties settings, you can set the working
directory. Set this to be the directory you want to be the "root" of
all of your account directories (All account directories will be
subdirectories of this "root" directory)."

This works when the PMMail icon is shortcut icon by placing the path in
the Start from window.  There is no "Start from" window in the
executable file itself.

I think what I have in mind and what you are suggesting are two
different things. Have never created a batch file in Win2K before
(actually never used Windows of any kind before), so let me RTFM and
then I'll get back to you.

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:27:21 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:

>>On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:06:15 -0500, Hazen Woods wrote:
>>
>>>All of my PMMail files were originally set up under PMMail/2 and reside
>>>in a directory on my E: drive.  I have PMMail 2000 installed on Win2000
>>>Pro. I want to point PMMail 2000 to that directory.  I can do this from
>>>a shortcut which I created and have located on my desktop.
>>>
>>>When select properties from the shortcut icon there is a "Start at"
>>>option.  But properties from the executable itself does not have that
>>>option.   I have created shortcuts and pointed the other applications
>>>to it, but doesn't seem to work.  What am I overlooking?
>>>

>>Hi Hazen,
>>
>>I think what you're overlooking is that Win2k is not OS/2, i.e. the
>>"program object" for the executable is not the same as OS/2 program
>>objects.  In order to do what I think you're trying to do, i.e. open
>>PMMail in Win2k from another program, try creating a batch file and
>>point to that instead of the executable.  For instance, my OS/2 PMMail
>>directory is on a drive that I have mapped to drive s: on my Win2k
>>system in the \southsft\pmmail subdirectory.  My PMMail Windows
>>installation on my Win2k system is on drive h: in the \pmmail2k_2k
>>subdirectory.  I created the following batch file that opens PMMail on
>>my Win2k system so that it uses the data files on my OS/2 system:
>>
>> s:
>> cd\southsft\pmmail
>> H:\pmmail2k_2k\PMMailw.exe
>>
>>You should then be able to point to the batch file program object from
>>your other programs instead of the PMMail executable.
>>
>>Ralph
>>
>>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>>line of the message body being...

Hazen Woods
eCS v1.0