[pmmail-list] Filter for SPAM

Dave Hathaway pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:51:00 -0600

Hi Ralph,

I like your general approach.  However, like the others that rely on TO
and CC fields, it will send BCC messages to the junk folder.
Practically the only person who sends me BCCs is my wife, so I moved her
special filter up front. :)

In regards to not sending it to the Trash folder, I find having a
separate junk folder is a waste.  99% of my junk is SPAM and is
eventually deleted.  I send SPAM to the trash can, and the presence of
unread mail there alerts me to review it.  When I am sure it is all
SPAM, I mark all messages as read.  This approach works very well for
me.  BTW, I don't empty my trash on exit, but do it manually
periodically.

Thanks for your additional filtering ideas,

Dave

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:41:30 -0500 (EST), Ralph Cohen wrote:

*SNIP*
>Keep in mind that while it may be tempting to send messages caught by
>your junk filters directly to the Trash folder, I'd advise you against
>it.  By sending those messages to the Junk folder instead, you have a
>chance to review them to make sure that a legitimate email hasn't
>gotten snagged by mistake.  If you find a message in there that belongs
>somewhere else, you know you need to modify one or more of your filters
>to keep it from happening again.
*SNIP*