[pmmail-list] URLs still lock up pmmail on beta

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:34:17 -0500

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:38:49 -0800 (PST), scott garfinkle wrote:

>It's been happening again. Please don't bother
>replying saying that this doesn't happen to you!
>Whenever I click on a URL, pmmal locks up and I have
>to kill it from the win98se task list. This started in
>the previous beta. Before, it went away. Now, it won't
>go away. Clearly, there is something funky in the new
>pmmail URL code that needs fixing. -scott garfinkle

I used to see this (under Win2K), but don't see it anymore since moving
to a new computer. My guess is that it is not entirely in PMMail, but
is some interaction with the system. I don't know how PMMail is loading
URLs, but my guess is that if they would simplify it, this problem
would go away. In my experience:

1. A reboot would make the problem go away temporarily

2. Executing other URLs using other programs would work OK

3. (this is still true) If I am debugging in Visual Studio and the
program I am debugging is suspended (e.g., when I hit a breakpoint or
am single stepping), the URLs never work until I run the program again.
My guess is that they are using DDE or something like that, and it gets
locked up at times.