[pmmail-list] PMMail 2000 Update

PMMail 2000 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 11:43:40 -0400

Dear List,

Just wanted to put in my thoughts on the recent threads and give a
heads up on what's coming up in the near future.

First, HTML will be supported in the next release, that has been on of
the most requested features and biggest shortcomings of PMMail 2000.
While, IMHO, HTML has no place in email; it is a fact of life, and if
you have contacts in business, or personal life for that matter, some
of them are likely to be using another client that sends in HTML. At
this time, we are looking into making it a user preference option to
either have full HTML support on, or simply to ignore all HTML.

There is also a thread about splitting the list into two, and I will
tell you that I don't think this is going to happen. Why? First, the
point about the Windows and OS/2 versions have too many similarities is
valid. Also, a more descriptive SUBJECT would be more appropriate. As I
have mentioned previously, Peter will be using wxWindows to bring
platform portability to the source code for PMMail, which means most
all discussions will apply to any platform in the future. Now, while he
is using wxWindows and it does support Linux (among other platforms), I
can't make any promises about if and/or when a version will be released
on the Linux platform. Also, if you are interested in the progress of
the OS/2 port for wxWindows, you can check the wxWindows site
(www.wxwindows.org), or read the archive of the OS/2 port development
announcements here:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/6052/0/

As for the progress here on the new version: Please be patient as I do
not have many details at this time, but I will update the list as soon
as they become available. What I do know is that the target date for
the next full public release of PMMail is December/January. Updates to
the current release of both the Windows and OS/2  version will be slow,
if we see any updates, while Peter is working on the new source code.
This is unfortunate, but necessary to allow development of the new
source code. We hope to have a beta version for testing by October and
I will post information on this as it becomes available. Most of the
current issues will be fixed by default in the new version (HTML, for
one). So, before everyone stops reading this long, drawn out letter, I
will tell you to stay tuned to this list and the website for further
information. I have given you everything I know at the current time,
and other details are still being worked out.

Thanks
Brandon King, PMMail 2000 Tech Support
support@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
http://www.pmmail2000.com