[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Robert Gammon pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:09:46 -0500 (CDT)

The last definition comes really, really close to my personal
definition of spam, so close that I am willing to accept it as a
standard.  The spam I get is usually HTML marked up, so accessing
the REMOVE ME instructions is REALLY difficult.

The problem is - the unwashed masses are SO large, that just like
the HTML issue, they will adopt a different definition than we
do, one that is likely to be close to - ANY unsolicited e-mail -
period.

Robert

On Thu, 30 May 2002 11:00:24 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:52:06 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>Since I loathe html mail (and spam, which most of it is)
>
>This reminded me of something I have been pondering on lately.
What
>is your (each of you) definition of "spam"?
>
>I believe that the world Internet community is making a
potentially
>dangerous "vague" use of the word "spam". Since words need
commonly
>understood definitions to be useful (just like Internet
standards,
>btw) it seems odd to me that people talk about "spam" as much as
they
>do -- in fact, laws are even being passed about "spam" --
without any
>concrete, commonly understood or accepted definition.
>
>I know, many of us believe we know exactly what "spam" is, but
the
>point is not does *one* of us have a definition, the point is,
doe we
>*share* the definition?
>
>Examples: Some people say to me that *any* unsolicited email is
>"spam". This, to me, seems obviously ridiculous. If I send an
email
>to someone saying that I saw them post about a computer problem
and I
>was wondering if they ever found a solution, that's unsolicited
>contact. Should this be considered "spam"?
>
>Some people say any *bulk* email is "spam". If you send it to
more
>than one person, you're a spammer. OK, what if you're looking
for a
>job? You probably (if you're following common sense advice) send
your
>resume -- by email these days -- to at least a handful, maybe up
to a
>few hundred companies, who probably didn't ask you to do so.
"Spam"?

>Some people say any unsolicited *commercial* email is "spam".
OK,
>that seems easier to buy, but then why the furious response to
these
>emails? Unsolicited commercial contact has been around in
society for